Jun 21, 2021
Student Catalog 2017-2018 (Archived) [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
Northeast Mississippi Community College is in compliance with provisions granted under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. Under this law, students enrolled in any educational institution receiving federal funds are given certain rights concerning school records.
The following rights are accorded under this act:
- Students are entitled to have access to their school records upon request. This request should be directed to the Registrar of the college.
- Students are entitled to inspect and review the contents of their school records, and to challenge the contents if they feel they are inaccurate, misleading, in violation of the privacy of other rights of the student, or if they contain inappropriate data. If students wish to challenge the contents, they should write the Registrar and clearly identify the part of the record they want changed and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading.
- Students have a right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Northeast Mississippi Community College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:
Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Compliance Office
600 Independence Ave., S.W.
Washington, DC 20202-4605
- Before any school records will be released to third parties (colleges, potential employers, etc.), the school must have the student’s written consent. Exception:
The records may be forwarded to officials of another college, upon request, in which the student seeks or intends to enroll.
- Upon receipt of a subpoena or judicial order requiring the Registrar to relinquish control of their records, students will be notified of the subpoena or judicial order before the Registrar will relinquish control of the records.
- The law allows “directory information” about students to be made public without specific permission. The FERPA Compliance Office considers the following items to be directory information:
- Degrees and awards received
- Most recent previous institution attended
- Telephone number
- Participation in officially recognized activities/sports
- Date and place of birth
- Dates of attendance
- Major Fields of Study
- Email address
- Weight and height of individuals on athletic teams
- All inquiries pertaining to records should be made to:
Northeast Mississippi Community College
101 Cunningham Blvd
Booneville, MS 38829